Fertility treatment, in any form, in South Africa is expensive. Medical aid doesn’t cover any part of it and government doesn’t subsidize the treatment like in some countries. If you google ‘fertility clinics South Africa’ you get a few results and they are basically located in Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town. If you can’t afford it you basically have to make peace with the fact that you won’t have the privilege of being called ‘mom’. And living in South Africa where there is so much focus on your constitutional right and right as a person, it makes you wonder ‘shouldn’t every person have the right to be able to called a parent?’ Yes, there is always adoption. But that’s a topic for another day.
Below is a map of google results and also a list of the available options.
- Medfem Fertility Clinic – Johannesburg
- Cape Fertility – Cape Town
- Aevitas Fertility Clinic – Cape Town
- BioART Fertility Clinic – Johannesburg
- Vitalab Centre for Assisted Conception – Johannesburg
- Sandton Fertility Centre – Johannesburg
- Androcryos – Johannesburg
- Zoe Fertility Clinic – Johannesburg
- Steve Biko Academic Hospotal Fertility Clinic – Pretoria
- Rhino Fertility Clinic – Johannesburg
- Wijnland Fertility – Stellenbosch
- CARE Clinic – Durban
We opted for Wijnland Fertility (Dr Johannes Van Waart), as it is the most convenient fertility center for us and have heard of a few people that were very happy with him. But always do your homework and decide which center will work best for you and with which doctor will you be comfortable with.